Lately i’ve been doing eben pagan’s “wake up productive program” and i’m comletely in love.
I’ve usually been a huge fan of Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity ” and Tony Robbin’s Time of your life, but this program is showing me new ways of taking my life to a newer level of productivity.
I’m originally a night owl (my productivity switch turns on at night). I love to stay up late until i can’t work anymore.
But due to my current job (i wake up at about 5 am to start work at 6am), my internal biological clock which controls my sleep is
just getting out of control.
I would go to bed late and wake up late on my off days, and on my work days i would go to bed late (sometimes early if i was lucky)
and i would wake up early… and for the next 4 or 5 hours my body would be in agony because of the hectic sleep schedule.
Now, even when i wanted to go to sleep early, i would fail because being energetic at 10pm (which is the time i usually need to sleep),
would not “feel” right. And it’s very tempting to just stay up late and keep working.
My work around?
Good old iphone alarm.
I set up a recurring alarm to go off at 9:30 pm. And i call this my “wind down” time.
Finish quickly whatever it is that i was doing, and get ready to go to bed at 10:00pm.
Now, going to sleep early is one thing, but waking up early consistently is another thing.
My alarm is also set up to go off at 5:00am in the morning. That means i get a good 7 hours of sleep.
Now here is an interesting distinction that took me lots of trial and error.
Most people keep their alarms next to them, where they can turn them off unconciously.
My alarm is far away from me. And it’s pretty loud.
This FORCES me to bolt out of bed.
From here i start my morning ritual
- Next to my alarm, is a nice bottle of water. Eben pagan recommends to drink half a litter of water , first thing in the morning to cleanse yourself.
- Next I go outside and i do a small jog just to get my metabolism on, and my heart rate on.
- After that i eat my power meal or power shake. Basically it has green drink, almond milk, brown rice protein, blueberries, and other stuff to get you on a peak health state.
- I do 20 minutes of reading.
- And i Eat my Frog, which is an idea i got from,Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time “. Basically, I Do my most important project first thing in the morning for a chunk of 2 hours.
- Stay energetic throughout the day, no matter my work or days off, schedule.
- Advance my most important projects in a peak state of mind in the morning, and almost get it to a completion.
- Take care of my body and my soul.